It’s summer and it’s hot! That means it’s time to give that oven of yours a break! Why heat up your house when there are plenty of awesome, no-cook dinner options? And this time of year, when produce is fresh and plentiful, we love a cool, refreshing, satisfying salad!
Build a Salad that Satisfies!
Before you turn your nose up at the idea of salad for dinner, hear us out! Salads can be an awesome way to get solid nutrition while filling your belly! How is that possible? Well, it’s all about how you build that salad that matters. Here’s what you need to know about building the best salad.
Step 1: Pick a hearty lettuce base. We love romaine or kale for good chewiness and crunch. Can’t choose just one? You don’t have too. Great salads also start with a blend of lettuces too.
Step 2: Load up on as many veggies as you want. Vegetables are loaded with fiber, water and other nutrients that satisfy. So yeah, go ahead and fill that bowl with them.
Step 3: Make your own salad dressing! Go the extra mile by making your own dressing. This not only gives you flexibility with flavor, but it also keeps that salad super fresh and interesting.
Step 4: Add a protein. Protein helps with satiety. So stick with something you love and keep to about a 3 or 4 ounce portion per serving. Try grilled salmon, rotisserie chicken or canned beans!
Make it Your Own!
One of the best things about salad is that it’s usually pretty customizable. So search the internet to find something that looks good. Make that recipe or put your own twist on it. We love switching out proteins and also adding/swapping toppings. Looking for a salad to try tonight? We’ve got you covered with this Simple DIY Weeknight Greek Salad!
Source: Sara Haas
- For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- For the salad:
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
- 2 cups sliced cucumbers
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olives halved
- Protein topper options:
- 2 cans light tuna drained and flaked over the top
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed (consider roasting!)
- 1 can white beans drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- Whisk the dijon mustard and red wine together in a small mixing bowl. Whisk in the olive oil then add the oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add your protein, if using, and reserved salad dressing and toss to combine.
- Portion salad among bowls and serve.